Simple Scone Recipe
2 cups all purpose flour
3 tbsp sugar ( I reduced it to 2.5 tbsp)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
5 tbsp unsalted butter cut into 1/4 inch cubes and chilled
1/2 cup raisins/cranberry/chocolate chip etc (optional)
1 cup heavy cream ( I used 3/4 cup cream, 1 egg + milk if needed to top up to 1 cup of liquid)
- Heat oven to 425 F. Adjust the oven rack to the middle. Bake for 12-15 min or till just nicely light brown.
- Pulse flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in food processor to combine.
- Scatter butter on the top and pulse. Mixture should be coarse with a few larger lumps of butter.
- Transfer to a large bowl and pour in raisins/choc chips etc and mix.
- Stir in cream, egg, milk mixture till dough begins to form.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured counter and knead until it forms a rough slightly sticky ball.
- Knead the dough out into a 2cm sheet and use a cutter to cut out as many scones as possible.
- Place the scones close on the baking sheet(so that they rise intstead of spread) lined with parchment paper.
- After 12-15min, cool on wire rack for 10min at least before digging in.