After messing with a couple of recipes, we finally decided this was the keeper. It's a combination of Thomas Keller's Blow Torch Roast Beef recipe from his cookbook and the recipe from cookingforengineers.
D initially scoffed at using a blowtorch, but now he is won over by this recipe - Ha! I used a small blow torch, the type you use for creme brulee but having won D over, he promptly headed to Home Depot and got me a serious blow torch that burns hot hot hot!
Super Easy Roast Beef
- Pick a nice cut of beef - we found rib eye roast, organic, hormone or antibiotic free meat the best tasting
- Salt 3 days ahead and allow the beef to age in the refrigerator. You can skip this step and salt it a day ahead instead.
- Add pepper and garlic infused olive oil before searing the outside with a torch.
- Set oven to 200F.
- Stick meat thermometer into the center of the roast.
- Place in the middle of the oven till the thermometer reads 122F for an all round medium rare. (It takes about 3-3 1/3 hours for a 2.7-3kg roast)
- Pull out roast and let rest for 15-20min tented. The temperature should rise another 2-3F.
- Serve with horseradish cream, potatoes and a nice red wine.
|The best part of roast beef is the leftovers for a roast beef sandwich!!|